ZocdocAnswersShould one with glaucoma take blood pressure medicine?

Question

Should one with glaucoma take blood pressure medicine?

I've been on blood pressure medication for a few years, and it's working pretty well to help me keep my hypertension under control. But now I'm being looked at for glaucoma and I want to know about how these things interact. Is it safe to keep taking my meds if I do have glaucoma?

Answer

People with glaucoma do have to be careful with medications, as several common medications can worsen glaucoma symptoms. At the same time, treating blood pressure is also very important for maintaining good eye health. The doctors who will be able to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor and your eye doctor. The main interaction between medications for the treatment of glaucoma and for the treatment of high blood pressure are the class of medications known as beta blockers, such as metoprolol. Beta blocker eye drops are used to treat glaucoma, and beta blocker pills are often used to treat high blood pressure. The effect of using both at the same time might result in lower blood pressure or slower heart rate, and should be monitored by a doctor. People with glaucoma should avoid a lot of other medications, including steroids, antihistamine, motion sickness medications, and all over the counter cold medicines as these may make the glaucoma symptoms worse. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is highly recommended.