Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Is there a way to make close-set eyes look farther apart?"

ZocdocAnswersIs there a way to make close-set eyes look farther apart?


Is there some kind of procedure we can use to make close-set eyes look as if they're farther apart? I know there's no wayto actually change the shape of your face, but couldn't sculpting the skin around your eyes change the way the look at first glance, at least?


There is actually quite a bit that can be done to change the shape of the face, and make the eyes look further apart, even though the interpupillary distance (IPD) stays the same. You are also correct in stating that surgical repositioning of your eyes is not something that would be done on a healthy adult. There are conservative options that can be found by altering make-up or wearing glasses with certain types of frames, and an ophthalmologist or even an optometrist might have suggestions in that regard. Assuming that you have already considered those options, the next best step would be to make an appointment with a plastic surgeon or head and neck surgeon who specializes in cosmetic surgery. Obviously, specific recommendations would require a personal physical examination, measurements, and, usually, photography. Depending on the structure of your face and your specific circumstances, he or she would be able to recommend altering the nose, the eyelids, or the surrounding soft tissue of the face. Of especial value, a surgeon would be able to help you in understanding the benefits and limitations of cosmetic surgery, and would help you to have realistic expectations before you decided to move forward. There is a broad range of variation within the normal population, and seeking multiple professional opinions before choosing elective surgery would also be in your best interest in addressing such a complex question.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.