ZocdocAnswersCan your period skip a month due to pregnancy?

Question

Can your period skip a month due to pregnancy?

Is it possible for a woman's period to skip just one month due to pregnancy? What are the chances that if you do miss just one month, you've actually gotten pregnant and had a miscarriage, as opposed to just not having a period that month? I'm 21 and sexually active and this just happened to me.

Answer

There are many reasons for missing a period. In those who are having unprotected sex, by far the most common reason is pregnancy. Since the rate of miscarriage of very early pregancy is quite high in many women, it is entirely possible to become pregnant and then have an early miscarriage and never know you were pregnant! Therefore missing a single period may be a sign of this. If you wish not to become pregnant, then it will be important to begin using a contraceptive method to prevent this from happening in the future. If on the other hand you are trying to become pregnant, then you should not be discouraged by this single irregularity, which is very common and does not say anything in particular about your abilities to conceive. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.