ZocdocAnswersCan cysts cause the vagina to become closed up?

Question

Can cysts cause the vagina to become closed up?

I'm a 28 year old woman and I have what I thought was a vaginal cycst that was very painful, but I have been ignoring it. This morning when I woke up, though, it was VERY painful, and it felt like it had swollen my vagina closed from the inside. Is this possible? Is it something other than a cyst?

Answer

Any type of vaginal mass, whether it be a cyst, abscess or tumor, should not be ignored. This is because it will be tough for you to tell for sure what it is. The type of doctor that would be best for you to see for this problem is an OBGYN. Its sounds like you have a mass near or inside your vagina that feels like a cyst to you. Cysts near the vagina, especially just outside of it are often called Bartholin's gland cysts. These cysts can be uncomfortable but generally not painful. If you have a mass inside your vagina that is painful, I would be worried that it is an abscess (pocket of infection). Abscess need surgically drained in order for them to go away. Another possibility that can cause the vagina to close from the inside include tumors in the vagina or cervix. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can take a more detailed history of your vaginal symptoms including how long you have had the mass, and what it has felt like. Your doctor can also examine it which may be enough to tell what it is. If the diagnosis is in question, then an ultrasound may be done to for further evaluation.