ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to have one's uterine wall biopsied?

Question

Is it safe to have one's uterine wall biopsied?

If a woman has a cyst on her vaginal wall, is it safe to get the cyst biopsied? I've been trying to understand my doctor's description of this procedure, and it seems like it'll mean puncturing the uterus itself. How can be safe?

Answer

Many people have questions about routine biopsy procedures. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or the surgeon who will perform the biopsy. Cysts in the vaginal wall can be quite common, and they do sometimes require removal or biopsy. This is a minor surgical procedure which involves the injection of some local numbing medication into the area followed by either removal of a part or the entire cyst. The vagina is a tubular thin walled organ that connects to the outside of the body at the vulva and reaches up to the mouth of the uterus, or cervix. Therefore a biopsy of the vagina involves just this outer segment and does not actually reach up to our manipulate the uterus at all. Occasionally uterine biopsies are performed for other reasons, but it sounds like from your situation that this in not the procedure under discussion. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with the doctor who will perform the biopsy to get your questions answered is advised.