ZocdocAnswersWhat vaginal signs indicate one might have herpes?

Question

What vaginal signs indicate one might have herpes?

What vaginal symptoms would a person see if she has contracted herpes? I know you are supposed to look for a bump or lesion, but what do they look like? Is there a type of odor or discharge that I would see?

Answer

Herpes is a sexually transmitted infection that is caused by the herpes virus. The sores of herpes occur in and around the vagina. They appear as round spots that consist of a blister containing a clear fluid sitting on top of a red base. When the blister ruptures, the sores may form small ulcered areas that slowly heal. The sores of herpes are usually very painful or sometimes even have a burning sensation to them. It is important to remember that herpes lesions are very contagious. Therefore if you have any concerns that you might be infected you should avoid sexual contact until you are evaluated by a doctor to avoid passing the infection on to a sexual partner. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor as soon as possible is recommended.