Is strong pelvic pressure normal during pregnancy?

How normal is it to feel a very strong pressure on your pelvis during pregnancy? I'm a 27 year old woman pregnant with my first child, so I don't really know what to expect. The pregnancy has gone perfectly so far (I'm 5 months in), but I have never heard of women feeling this intense pressure.
In a normal, healthy pregnancy it is very common to experience some degree of pressure as the pregnancy progresses. This is because the growing uterus begins to compress the bladder and also to bear down on the pelvic bones. This can be uncomfortable but should not actually be painful. The most important thing to do is to watch out for signs that suggest this pain or pressure might be something other than the normal pressure you would expect later in pregnancy. Therefore if you experience sharp, squeezing pains these might be contractions and should be checked out immediately. Also a sudden rush of fluid between the legs or vaginal bleeding are worrisome signs, as are changes in your growing baby's activity, such as if your baby stops moving inside the womb. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your OB / GYN doctor might be advised.