Is pain while urinating typical of hysterectomies?

Is it normal for women have had hysterectomies to feel pain during urination? My wife (age 44) had a hysterectomy nearly a year ago, and she thinks the pain is unusual, but I can't convince her to go talk to a doctor.
A hysterectomy, or surgical removal of the uterus, is a major surgery. Recovery can often taken several months, but there should not normally be any symptoms 1 year after the surgery. Therefore this should be checked out. There are several possibilities for your wife's symptoms. The most likely cause is that she has a urinary tract infection or a yeast infection, which can cause urinary urgency (needing to go quickly), urinary frequency (needing to go all the time), and pain or burning with urination. Sometimes after a hysterectomy the pelvic muscles are very relaxed and this causes pelvic organs to sag downwards. When the bladder sags downward and out, this is called a cystocele and can result in many urinary symptoms. As always the diagnosis and the management of your wife's particular concerns will require a physical examination by her personal physician. Setting up an office visit with her primary care doctor or her OB / GYN doctor is highly recommended.