Is rectal bleeding associated with hysterectomies?

Is it normal to bleed from your rectum after you have had a hysterectomy? I've found a little bit of blood in my stool since I got my hyterectomy several weeks ago. This has only happened a few times, but it's enough to make me worried that something went wrong.
Many people have questions about complications of and normal recovery from hysterectomy. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN surgeon who performed the operation. Hysterectomy, or surgical removal of the uterus, is one of the most common surgeries undergone by women. It is usually well tolerated but occasionally there can be complications. The most common cause of blood in the stool after hysterectomy would be from constipation, which is very uncommon due to immobility and pain medications. The hard feces can irritate the colon and lead to small amounts of blood. Similarly, hemorrhoids can sometimes flare up after any major operation, and could lead to small amounts of bleeding. It is unlikely that you have a more serious problem. However if the bleeding is persistent, if there is a large amount of blood in any bowel movement, if you feel faint, dizzy, or if you have palpitations these may be signs of more serious bleeding and you should go to the emergency room. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or the doctor who performed the surgery is advised.