Can one have a hysterectomy while on their period?

I'm 38 and I'm going to have a hysterectomy in two weeks, but I'm starting to worry that it will coincide exactly with my period. Is it possible to have obgyn surgery during your period, or will I have to postpone the procedure?
The hysterectomy is one of the most common surgical procedures for women. It is generally very well tolerated and performed without complications. The recovery period after the surgery is usually 4-6 weeks, but after that women usually feel better than before the surgery, as the reasons for taking out the uterus include abdominal pain and menstrual problems -- all of which should go away after the surgery. The short answer to your particular question is no, having your period on your surgery date should not interfere with a successful operation and you should not have to postpone the procedure. If you think about it, the number one reason for women to have hysterectomies is due to menstrual problems after all! As always the management of your pre operative concerns is best done in collaboration with the surgeon who is planning to perform the procedure. Calling their office to discuss your concerns is probably the best way to make sure that the operation goes smoothly.

Nearby OB-GYNs