ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for one's period to sometimes be late?

Question

Is it normal for one's period to sometimes be late?

What is the normal range for a woman's period to be late? I'm usually pretty regular, but this month my period is more than a week late. Exactly how abnormal is that? I have been sexually active, so of course I'm worrying about pregnancy.

Answer

Any changes to the length of your cycle especially when you are usually regular can be a source of a lot of anxiety. The best types of physicians to see about this issue is an OBGYN or in some cases a primary care physician such as a family doctor. Whether being late is abnormal or not depends on whether you were normally very regular. If you were regular, and being a week late is new for you, and you are sexually active, then you very well may be pregnant. Having irregular periods can be due to other issues. If you have lost a lot of weight recently, this can cause you to miss a period. Irregular periods is a symptom of a common conditions called polycystic ovarian syndrome. I suggest that you start by going to the grocery store and buying a home pregnancy test. If used correctly, the home pregnancy test can be very accurate. Whether it is negative or positive, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN or primary care physician, whoever you see normally for your feminine health. If you are pregnant, then you will want to be seen by an OBGYN soon. If not, your doctor may want to begin a work up for why you missed a period.