ZocdocAnswersIs too much fluid near the uterus a sign of cancer?

Question

Is too much fluid near the uterus a sign of cancer?

My doctor said that some of the problems I've been having have to do with fluid near the uterus, but she didn't really want to talk about what this could mean. Is fluid near the uterus a possible sign of cancer? What is the best way to deal with it?

Answer

This is an example of how we as physicians need to do a better job communicating our findings to our patients and explaining our thought process. In this case, fluid near the uterus is a very ambiguous phrase and could mean many different things. Nevertheless, I will lay out some of the possibilities that this could be. There is a pocket of tissue called the pelvic cul-de-sac which sits behind the vagina and uterus and is a potential space for fluid to collect. Physicians can detect this fluid by ultrasound, or by a simultaneous vaginal / rectal exam where the space is felt between your doctor's fingers. This space is checked by your doctor because fluid that collects there can be a sign of infection or a tumor. If your doctor did not perform an ultrasound or this exam, then this is not the fluid he or she was referring to. Any fluid that collects in the abdomen can collect around the uterus, but this would cause many symptoms that are not in the pelvic area. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN, whoever you see for your feminine health. Ask him or her what was meant by this statement, and what additional testing is necessary to see if it is something that would need treated. Good luck.