ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of fibrocystic breast disease?

Question

What are the symptoms of fibrocystic breast disease?

My breasts have always been kind of cystic and I haven't worried about that too much, but now I've heard twice about ""fibrocystic"" breast disease and I need to know whether I have this. What are the symptoms of fibrocystic disease?

Answer

Any changes that you perceive in your breasts large or small needs to be evaluated by a qualified heath care professional. The best type of physician to evaluate your breasts is a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor or a specialist such as an OBGYN. Fibrocystic disease of the breast is a benign condition where the breasts feel lumpy with small defined masses that tend to change during the menstrual cycle. Breasts seem more full and lumpy close to the beginning of the menstrual period and decrease after it begins. The disease carries no additional risk of developing breast cancer and there is no problem breast feeding after the birth of a child. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Your doctor may be able to rule out or diagnose fibrocystic disease of the breast without any additional testing. If you are diagnosed with this, then you should make sure that you get to know the lumps and bumps of your breasts well so that you can detect any suspicious changes that could occur. Good luck.