ZocdocAnswersCan one get pregnant if fallopian tubes are blocked?

Question

Can one get pregnant if fallopian tubes are blocked?

If both of my fallopian tubes are blocked, is there any chance that I could still get pregnant? I have a fallopian cyst that according to my Ob-Gyn might hurt my fallopian tube extensively enough that it would be blocked. But I still wanted to get pregnant someday - will that be possible?

Answer

Problems associated with your reproduction will always warrant close work up and monitoring. The best type of physician to see regularly about this problem is an OBGYN. The role of fallopian tubes are critical to natural conception and pregnancy. You have 2 tubes, but in reality only need one for a pregnancy to take. It sounds like from your question that you have a fallopian tube cyst in one of your fallopian tubes requiring that one of them be removed. If one of these two are removed, then you will still likely be able to get pregnant. If both your tubes are blocked, then pregnancy will not be attainable through intercourse. However, as long as your uterus is not affected, you will still be able to get pregnant through in vitro fertilization. This is a technique where your ovum are collected, you partners sperm is used to fertilize the ovum and then they are placed in your uterus for implantation. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN so that the two of you can discuss exactly what your reproductive situation is after removal of the fallopian tube cyst. If you have damage to both tubes as your question suggests, then you will probably need to get pregnant through in vitro fertilization. Good luck.