ZocdocAnswersDoes a tilted cervix make ultrasounds harder to read?

Question

Does a tilted cervix make ultrasounds harder to read?

I have twice had to get an ultrasound due to ob-gyn problem, and both times the doctors seemed like they couldn't give me an answer with very high confidence. Could this have something to do with the fact that my cervix is tilted? Would there be a better scan for diagnosing my ob-gyn issues?

Answer

Any time our doctor orders a test that initially does not yield a result or explanation for our problems, it can be a source of a lot of anxiety. The best type of physician equipped to perform and interpret a pelvic ultrasound is an OBGYN. The pelvic or transvaginal ultrasound is an extremely sensitive technique to look for uterine, fallopian tube and ovarian structural abnormalities as well as evaluate pregnancies. A tilted cervix will not effect the ability of ultrasound waves to penetrate your tissues and bounce back images. Thus, it does not seem like there is a visible structural abnormality that can explain your symptoms. Other imaging techniques such as MRI are available and may be better in certain circumstances, but not most. Depending on your issue, sometimes there are blood tests that can help with diagnosis. I suggest that you schedule another appointment with your OBGYN and ask if there are any additional testing (imaging, blood, etc) that could be done to explain your symptoms. Unless you have a drastic change in your symptoms, I doubt that another ultrasound will show anything different than the first two showed. This will be a judgment call by your doctor. Good luck.