How do the NuvaRing and the birth control pill differ?

I'm 24 and choosing between several different kinds of birth control, and I'd like to know this: what is the difference between the nuvaring and birth control pills? I've heard claims about the ring, but I'm not good at deciphering what they mean?
There are so many good options out there for highly effective hormonal birth control the options can be dizzying. The best type of physician to direct this question to is an OBGYN or primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. Both the NuvaRing and birth control pill prevent pregnancy by introducing estrogen and progesterone like hormones into the body preventing ovulation and subsequently pregnancy. The only difference is how the hormones are delivered. With the pill, the hormones are swallowed and absorbed through the GI track. The ring is a device that is placed in the vagina and the hormones are absorbed through the lining of the vagina. There are other delivery methods available such as a patch, a shot, and a intrauterine device that you should learn about as well. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN, whoever you see for your feminine health. He or she can take a detailed history of your periods and perform a thorough physical exam and determine if hormonal birth control is right for you. After that, your doctor can go through all the options of hormonal birth control including the pill and NuvaRIng and you can make a decision about which is best for you.

Nearby OB-GYNs