What is the average time between ovulation and one's period?

How long does it normally take for a woman to have her period after she ovulates? I'm concerned because I'm 29 and my health is good in other ways, but it seems like my period takes a very long time after ovulation, and my periods are very heavy. What could this mean?
The menstrual cycle is usually about 28 days long, sometimes a few days more. Counting from the first day that menstruation starts as day 1 of the cycle, ovulation usually occurs about midcycle, somewhere around day 14 but of course it can be several days earlier or later than that, depending on the woman. Most women are not aware that they have ovulated, unless they are tracking their basal body temperature. Having heavy periods is a common problem, although not usually a problem of ovulation per se. If the periods are distressing to you, painful, or causing anemia due to heavy bleeding then you may want to seek evaluation and treatment. The most common way to treat heavy periods is through the use of an oral contraceptive to regularize the menstrual cycles. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is recommended.