ZocdocAnswersCan one get pregnant if they haven't had their period for a while?

Question

Can one get pregnant if they haven't had their period for a while?

Is it possible for a woman who hasn't had her period in a while to still get pregnant? I'm not sure what is delaying my periods, but I want to know if it means that I have the sort of problem that could make me infertile?

Answer

Any change in your cycle that is unexpected can be a source of a lot distress. The best type of physician to see about this type of issue is an OBGYN. The most common cause of a missed period in a women that previously had fairly regular ones is pregnancy. If you have not had your period in a while, and you have been sexually active, then you should start by taking a home pregnancy test. These tests are very sensitive if used correctly. Other possible causes of your delay in periods depend on your age. If you are in your 40s, then menopause can be the source of your cycle issues. A syndrome called polycystic ovarian syndrome can cause irregular periods that can cause serious delays from time to time. Having a low amount of thyroid hormone can also mess with your periods. Other than menopause, most causes of delayed periods are reversible or treatable, and therefore will allow you to get pregnant someday. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with the OBGYN that you intend to keep for your future pregnancies. Bring with you a record of your symptoms and recent cycles. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Hopefully your doctor can get to the bottom of your missed periods. Good luck.