What causes pain the bottom of the thumbs?

What could causese a person pain at the base of both thumbnails? I've been feeling a very sharp pain down at the bottom of my nails that seems like the pain you'd have if you jammed them? but I didn't. Is this a disease?
The pain you are describing is a bit unusual and will require some closer investigation. For example, do you notice any redness or swelling of the thumb joint below the nail? If so, you may have an inflammation of this joint with associated pain radiating up into the nail. If you have these symptoms, you should seek the advice of your primary care doctor, especially if you also have other painful joints, as this may be part of an arthritis syndrome. Another possibility would be an infection of the thumbnails. Do you notice any thickening, distortion, or color change of the nails? These would be consistent with a fungal infection of the nails, which can be treated by your primary care doctor. Another possibility would be a repetitive strain injury to the thumbs, especially if you also experience numbness or tingling in the thumbs or in other fingers. This could be caused for example by usinng a keyboard all day long, and will resolve with rest and antiinflammatories like ibuprofen. One can also get a tendonitis of the thumb, called de Quervain's tenosynovitis. Again, this will often respond to rest, but can sometimes require more definitive treatment by your primary care doctor.

Nearby Internists

Other Internists