How do you cure blackheads on your eyelids?

I've never heard of anyone but me having this problem - how do you get rid of blackheads ON your eyelids? My eyelids are covered in small greyish dots and I can squeeze them out, but that's really painful - and they seem to come right back. What should I do?
It does sound like the dots on your eyelids are likely to be blackheads, which occur when the skin pores become clogged open by dead skin and other debris, leading to a distended pore full of blackish material that can be squeezed out. Generally, it isn't recommended to squeeze blackheads as this tends just to run a risk of infection and possible inflaming the tissue and either delaying healing or causing scarring down the road. Blackheads on the eyelids should therefore be treated in the same way that you would treat blackheads anywhere - with a good skin cleansing regimen designed to clean out and prevent the buildup of the debris that causes them. To start with, you may want to consider if you are using any eye makeup that is contributing to the problem. Next, a good facial soap and a gentle exfoliating preparation used daily on the face (including the eyelids) should help. Take care not to get the cleaning products in the eyes. If this does not take care of it, you can consider a comedonolytic (debris remover) like benzoyl peroxide (available over the counter in products like Proactiv). If these methods do not work, then see your primary care doctor or your dermatologist.

Nearby Dermatologists