ZocdocAnswersCan spider veins come back after treatment?

Question

Can spider veins come back after treatment?

If I get laser treatment to remove my spider veins, is it possible for them to come back? I'm a younger woman who's interested in the treatment, but I want to know what the long-term success rate is - to decide whether or not it's worth it.

Answer

Spider veins are small dilated blood vessels that occur when back pressure in the veins, usually through deterioration of the valves in the veins with age, build ups causes the small vessels to be visible under the skin. Spider veins can occur anywhere on the body, although they are most common on the legs. They are of no medical significance, meaning they do not cause problems down the road. However, many people want them treated for cosmetic reasons. Several methods are used for treating spider veins. One common treatment is called sclerotherapy, which involves injecting an irritating chemical into the vein, causing it to scar off and disappear. Sclerotherapy is very effective, causing resolution of the spider veins in probably 90% of cases. The main disadvantage is that it requires a needle poke in each vein. However, sclerotherapy does not cure the underlying disposition to develop spider veins. So, although the treated veins will likely disappear, there is no guarantee that new spider veins will not develop over time. Laser treatments are also very effective for spider veins. They are more expensive, and require multiple treatments. However, as they do not involve needle pokes, they are often used on the face. Again, however, the problem is that there is no guarantee new spider veins will not form. A dermatologist will be able to answer more questions about spider veins.