Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Can one manicure their nails while pregnant?

Is it a bad idea to get a nail manicure while you're pregnant? I know that pregnant women often have trouble with loose / ingrown nails, but I'm 7 months pregnant and all of my friends are going in for a mani-pedi, and I'd like to go with!
Pregnancy produces many effects on the body, and sometimes this includes for some women making the nails or the hair more brittle or delicate. In cases where the nails are very brittle, you may want to avoid harsh treatments, nail gels, and the like. However, if you are not having these problems then there should be no reason for you not to enjoy the manicure and the pedicure along with your friends. As always the usual precautions apply, but none of these are specific to pregnancy. Make sure that you go to a reputable salon where the nail manicure tools are thoroughly cleaned between clients. Most of the problems from manicures come from infections of the nails with various fungi or trauma to the cuticles and skin surrounding the nails. Excessive grooming, clipping, and pushing back of the cuticles can lead to infections of the tissue around the nails, called paronychia. Of course, none of these problems with manicures are more common in pregnancy than otherwise, they are just good common sense to use whenever you go to the nail salon. Please be encouraged to talk honestly with your OB / GYN doctor whenever you have questions about your pregnancy and what you should or should not do.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)