Do over-the-counter blackhead treatments work?

Are there any over-the-counter blackhead treatments that actually work, or should I just try to get a prescription from a doctor if I have a bad blackehead problem. I'm 25 and my blackheads have bothered my since I was 13, but this is the worst year yet.
Acne is one of the most common medical problems and many people seek medical advice for treating it. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Blackheads are a type of acne that forms when skin pores become clogged open by dead skin and other debris. Therefore successfully treating blackheads involves removing and preventing buildup of this debris. To start, daily use of a facial soap is recommended. Subsequently most people also use an exfoliating preparation. Finally, you can added a comedonolytic (debris remover). There are several comedonolytics, such as benzoyl peroxide, which are available in various over the counter preparations. Only if these three methods together do not work do you need to consider prescription medications. Prescriptions medications that your doctor may suggest to you include various combinations of stronger comedonolytics, antibiotic and retinoid creams, and sometimes even oral medications based on the severity of the acne. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist is advised.

Nearby Dermatologists