What is the best treatment for weeping rashes?

What is the best DIY or home treatment for a weeping rash? I'm not sure exactly what's causing it, though in the past I had something similar that was diagnosed as contact dermatitis. Could I 'dry it out' with alcohol, or would that worsen it?
Weeping rashes are in fact quite common with contact dermatitis, which is a reaction of the body's immune cells to some chemical in the environment (common ones include nickel allergy with jewelry, and poison ivy and similar plant rashes). The first step is to think about what might have caused the allergic reaction. For example, what was the offending agent last time when you were first diagnosed with the contact dermatitis. Strict avoidance of this substance is critical to good healing. Second, you should avoiding picking at the rash or itching it, as these will make the irritation worse and perhaps cause scarring of the skin and delay healing. You can apply an anti-itch cream (available over the counter) or take an over the counter antihistamine (such as diphenhydramine) to help with itch. You should keep the skin clean and dry, avoid immersing the skin in water, and also avoid applying irritating or drying chemicals such as alcohols. In their place, you should use a topical over the counter steroid cream. Finally, you should know that contact allergies sometimes require weeks to clear up and that many require prescription oral medications. Therefore, if things are not getting better in the next few days, talking with your dermatologist or primary care doctor is advised.

Nearby Dermatologists