What causes a ridege in the center of the nail?

Is there a disease that causes a ridge to run down the center of the fingernail? I have a few nails with this condition, so I'm a little worried. I'm 28 and I've never had this before, but I'm worried it's a deeper problem.
There are many causes of changes in the nails and many people seek medical advice for them. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor. Vertical lines on the nail are rarely a sign of a serious underlying problem. It sounds like this is what you have. Various forms of horizontal lines, on the other hand, can represent underlying medical problems and should be investigated soon. Vertical lines that run from the cuticle to the tip of the nail are common. There is no clear cause for these deformations, although they may have a genetic component, and they do not require treatment. Small white spots or lines under the nail are called leuconychia and are probably caused by trauma to the nail bed and air bubbles under the nail. They resolve on their own without treatment. Occasionally fungal infections of the nail can cause lines and ridges. Also if the lines are dark red, they may be a sign of infection or bleeding and should be investigated. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up a visit with your primary care doctor is advised.

Nearby Internists

Other Internists