ZocdocAnswersHow quickly do topical creams remove blackheads?

Question

How quickly do topical creams remove blackheads?

How quickly can I expect a topical cream to remove a blackhead? I've been using this one kind of cream that doesn't seem to be doing anything, and I've been applying it every day for more than a week. Is this just a problem with this kind of cream, or is that the best results OTC medicines can give me?

Answer

Acne is one of the most common medical conditions and many people seek medical advise for treating it. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue in greater detail with you include your primary care doctor and your dermatologist. Blackheads are a type of acne that forms when skin pores become clogged open and distended with blackened debris composed mostly of dead skin and oils. Therefore, the mainstay of treatment is treatments that can remove this debris. To begin with, you should wash your face daily with a good facial soap. You should follow this with an exfoliating preparation, such as one with microbeads. I am not sure what the cream you are using actually contains. However, most people find that adding a comedonolytic (debris remover) is important. The most common comedonolytics are those that contain benzoyl peroxide. If these methods do not work, then you may want to consider talking to your doctor who can prescribe stronger prescription medicines. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist is advised.