Do removed nail gels cause damage to real nails?

Does removing a nail gel damage your real fingernail? I'm worried about how my girlfriend is always changing out her gels, because I would think that it could scar up her real nails or give her an infection? I don't know, it just doesn't seem natural.
Nail gels are a common cosmetic product used by many women. They are usually tolerated well but can sometimes produce some side effects. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue in greater detail include her primary care doctor or dermatologist. Nail gels are well tolerated while they are on. The problem is that, since the nails grow rapidly, the nail gels have to be replaced periodically. The strong chemicals used to remove the old nail gel cause significant damage to the real nail. Although this damage is not permanent, when your girlfriend decides to stop nail gels it will take a while for the nails to grow back in strong and healthy. Nails gels are also absolutely a risk factor for developing a fungal infection under the gel. These can be quite unpleasant and very difficult to get rid of. Finally, the frequent manicures associated with nail treatments can cause infection of the cuticle and skin around the nails. As always the diagnosis and the management of your girlfriend's particular concerns will require a physical examination by her personal physician. Setting up an office visit with her primary care doctor might be advised if there are specific concerns.