ZocdocAnswersWhat do bumps and whiteheads on thighs indicate?

Question

What do bumps and whiteheads on thighs indicate?

What does it mean if you have bumps and whiteheads all over your thighs? I don't think it's a reaction to my clothes, because it happens over the summer, even when I'm always wearing shorts. The bumps are small and mostly have white tips. What should I do?

Answer

The rash you are described sounds a lot like acne, or an acne-like rash, which can actually occur anywhere on the body. In addition to the face, other common places include the thighs, upper arms, neck, and buttocks. These bumps and whiteheads form just like on the face. Basically, skin pores are clogged closed by dead skin and other debris, allowing skin oils, white blood cells, and bacteria to build up. The mainstay of treatment is to remove this skin debris. On the thighs, often just good focused cleaning with a body wash is enough. You may supplement with an exfoliating scrub or preparation, such as one with microbeads. If this does not work, a product containing benzoyl peroxide or another 'acne' cream might be indicated. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be advised.