ZocdocAnswersWhat cleansers help control whitehead outbreaks?

Question

What cleansers help control whitehead outbreaks?

I'm in my late 20s and my whiteheads are as bad as they've ever been. Is there a good kind of over-the-counter medicine I can use to fight these? Nothing I've tried has worked so far. What kind works for the most people?

Answer

Acne is one of the most common medical problems and people frequently seek medical advice for it. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Whiteheads are a form of acne that forms when skin pores become clogged closed by dead skin and other debris leading to the buildup of bacteria, skin oils, and white blood cells behind the clog, which looks like a thick white material. The mainstay of treating whitehead is to remove the debris clogging the pores. Therefore daily use of a facial soap is important, as is an exfoliating preparation, such as those which contain microbeads. Most people also add a comedonolytic (debris remover). Several over the counter comedonolytics contain benzoyl peroxide. Daily use of benzoyl peroxide usually does the trick. If these methods to not work, then discuss the issue with your doctor is in order, as there are stronger medications available by prescription. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.