ZocdocAnswersAre nursing moms more susceptible to whiteheads?

Question

Are nursing moms more susceptible to whiteheads?

Is a mom who's nursing a baby more likely to get whiteheads than at other times? I've never even seen whiteheads before, but since I started nursing I'm getting them on my chest and now on other parts of my body. I thought it might have something to do with the hormones.

Answer

Acne is common during pregnancy because of the major hormonal changes induced by the pregnancy. However, after the pregnancy is over, these changes are less prominent and the acne should get better. Acne is causes when skin pores get clogged by dead skin and other debris. Whiteheads occur when the pores clog closed allowing skin oils, bacteria, and white blood cells to build up and create a thick white material. One possibility is that you are getting whiteheads on your chest and similar area because these are areas that come in contact with the baby during breastfeeding, leading to friction and sweating. These should clear up easily with good skin hygiene and daily use of a body soap. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be indicated.