ZocdocAnswersCan large blackheads indicate scabies or pinworm?

Question

Can large blackheads indicate scabies or pinworm?

If you have really large blackheads like I do (I am male, 24), can that indicate that you're actually dealing with scabies or pinworm? I don't know exactly how those diseases affect you, but I understand that they can enlarge your pores.

Answer

Blackheads are a type of acne that is caused when skin pores become clogged open by dead skin and other debris. Therefore, the mainstay of treatment is skin treatments that can remove and prevent skin debris build up. There is absolutely no association between scabies or pinworms, which are two parasitic infections, and blackheads or other forms of acne. Applying a good soap daily should help clear up the blackheads. Many people also use an exfoliating preparation, such as one containing microbeads. For many, using a comedonolytic (debris remover) is also helpful. The most common comedonolytic that is available over the counter is benzoyl peroxide, which is available in multiple products. If these methods do not work, your doctor may be able to prescribe stronger medications. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be indicated.