ZocdocAnswersHow can people with eczema get rid of whiteheads?

Question

How can people with eczema get rid of whiteheads?

What is the best method for people with eczema to get rid of whiteheads? I'm 28 and I have moderate eczema and whiteheads, and I'm very leery of using a medication for the whiteheads that could dry out and irritate my eczema even more.

Answer

Whiteheads are one of the most common medical problems and a very common reason for people to seek medical advise. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist Whiteheads, or closed comedones, are a type of acne caused when the skin pores become closed off and distended by the build up of skin oils, bacteria, and white blood cells. Therefore the basis of treating whiteheads is simply removing this skin debris. Often this involves exfoliating creams or comedonolytics such as benzoyl peroxide which can both be quite irritating to the skin. A milder regimen for sensitive skin, such as yours, that does not involve so many chemicals, would include a daily wash of the face with a mild soap. You could also try using a nonchemical exfoliating product, such as one with microbeads, to try to remove skin debris mechanically. If these methods do not work, you may need some prescription medications. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be advised.