ZocdocAnswersCan dry weather cause red bumps to erupt on arms?

Question

Can dry weather cause red bumps to erupt on arms?

I'm a 41 year old woman and I'd like to know if it could be the dry weather that's raising this rash of red bumps on my partner's arms. He spends a lot of time outdoors, exposed to the elements, and it seems like the colder / drier the climate becomes, the worse his arms look. How should we treat them?

Answer

The short answer to your question is yes, the cold weather could be causing this. In cold, dry weather, many people find that the natural protecting skin oils are rapidly removed from the skin, leading to dryness, flaking, itching, and sometimes small 'red bumps'. The first step in treatment is to avoid over showering. Showering, especially with hot water, removing protecting skin oils. He should shower with less hot water, preferably not every day. After getting out of the shower, he should immediately apply a good moisturizing lotion. He should reapply the lotion several times throughout the day. Finally, if there is itching, he can use an over the counter steroid cream to help with this and to prevent from scratching the areas. As always the diagnosis and the management of your partner's particular skin concerns will require a physical examination by his personal physician. Setting up an office visit with his primary care doctor or dermatologist might be indicated.