ZocdocAnswersHow long does it take to get rid of whiteheads around the eyes?

Question

How long does it take to get rid of whiteheads around the eyes?

I'm a 22 year old guy and I'd like to know how longit will take to get rid of the whiteheads around my eyes. I am not touching them at all, but I am using an anti-acne pad several times a day and this seems to be helping. How long are whiteheads usually noticeable for?

Answer

Acne is one of the most common medical problems and a common reason for people to seek medical advice. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Whiteheads are a type of acne that occur when skin pores become clogged closed by dead skin and other debris, leading to a buildup of white blood cells, bacteria, and skin oils which give the "white head". The treatment of whiteheads requires removing the skin debris and not picking at them, as this will make them inflamed and cause them to last longer. With good treatment, most should go away in a week or so, perhaps a bit more or a bit less depending on the size and the area of the skin. Treatment should include daily cleansing with a facial soap. Many people also apply an exfoliating treatment or a debris-removing acne preparation, such as the pads that you say you are using. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be advised.