Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Chemical Burns - How long does it take for scars resulting from chemical burns to heal?

I got a pretty bad chemical burn from hair bleach on my scalp a few days ago, and the pain is really bad right now. How long will it take for the burns to heal over and stop hurting? Is there any chance this will affect my scalp, like in terms of hair loss?
Chemical burns produce the same damage to skin as thermal burns (from the sun or fire), just with a different mechanism. Nevertheless, they have the same risks as all burns, including blistering, sloughing of skin, hair loss, and permanent damage and scarring. The fact that you have a lot of pain on your scalp is extremely concerning. Usually mild irritation from hair bleach just lasts a few days and may feel like a sunburn. But if you have serious pain, this is the sign of a more serious burn, and this requires immediate evaluation. Failure to undergo proper evaluation and treatment could result in permanent damage to your scalp, loss of hair, infection, and a number of other side effects. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. The symptoms you describe are concerning and should be evaluated urgently by your primary care doctor or in the emergency room.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)