Boil Scars - Are there creams that help with the apperance of scars resulting from boils?

I have a scar on my cheek from a very large boil I had last year. Is there a treatment (like a softening cream?) that I could use to help minimize the appearance of this scar? I'm a middle aged woman with rather dry skin, and I'm diabetic.
The phenomenon you are describing is called postinflammatory hypopigmentation. Basically what occurs is that in the normal healing process of an infection, burn or other skin injury, melanocytes, or pigment cells, are removed from the area. Generally, these condition improves slowly over time although it can take months to years, and sun exposure can help, as this stimulates repigmentation. Occasionally a doctor will prescribe a steroid cream, as there is some evidence that this can help decrease the inflammatory process that results in the loss of the pigment. If you have dry skin, you should take care of this through the application of a good moisturize to avoid having another reason for the skin to become irritated and perhaps worsen the depigmentation. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be advised.