Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Genital Rash - Can people with dry skin get rashes around their genitals due to the type of soap they use?"


Is it possible that a woman like me with dry skin could get a rash around the genitals as a result of the kind of soap that they use? I've had this small, bumpy, itchy rash for days, and I'm wondering whether it could be the soap or if I should be worried that it's an STI.


The most common cause of dry skin and red bumps in the genital region is indeed just that -- irritation and chafing. It responds well to keeping the skin clean and dry, using a good moisturizing lotion, and wearing absorbent cotton underwear. In areas of frequent shaving, another possibility is in grown hairs, which happen when the hair shaft doubles back on itself.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Dermatologists near you

These usually respond with decreased shaving and gentle exfoliation. The major sexually transmitted infection that can cause red bumps is herpes. However, herpes causes painful, burning round blistered lesions containing clear fluid on a red base. When the lesions rupture they may form small slowly healing ulcers. However, this does not sound like the rash that you have described. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be advised.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.