ZocdocAnswersWhat is nerve fatigue?

Question

What is nerve fatigue?

I've been doing some reading online and it looks like I have a condition people call 'nerve fatigue' that explains the odd symptoms I've had over the last few years. I don't understand what nerve fatigue is, though. What causes this? How can I treat it?

Answer

Any time you feel like you are developing symptoms that are worrisome, you should seek attention from a qualified health care professional. In this case, the best type of physician for you to see is a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. Despite what you have read on line, there is no conditions with the name nerve fatigue. It may be a term used to describe the effects of other diseases that cause problems with nerve transmissions to and from your body and your brain. Examples of such diseases would be multiple sclerosis, Guillian Barre syndrome, and amyotrophic, lateral sclerosis. These are diseases of nerve transmission where you may feel numb, tingly, or have the inability to move a part of the body. Nerve fatigue may be used to describe fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, two separate conditions that often come together. Fibromyalgia is a syndrome of chronic joint and muscle aches and chronic fatigue syndrome is the feeling of always being tired for no apparent reason. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Perhaps you can get some answers that will help explain some of your symptoms and you can get treatment if needed if necessary. Good luck.