What is hydronephrosis?

I had a very bad kidney stone removed, and the doctors have explained that I might have suffered ""hydronephrosis"" during the time it was inside me. What does that mean? Where can I learn more about hydronephrosis and what it will do to my long term health? I'm a middle aged man.
Kidney stones can be one of the most painful experiences of your life. I hope it does not return. The best types of physicians to see for hydronephrosis is a primary care physician or, in severe cases a kidney doctor or urologist. Urine flows from the kidneys down the ureters into the bladder and out the urethra. When kidney stones get stuck in the ureter, they prevent flow from the kidney to the bladder. This causes urine to back up and fill spaces in the kidney. When this happens, we call it hydronephrosis. Hydronephrosis, if left for long enough can cause kidney failure. Most of the time it resolves on its own after the kidney stone has been removed. The long term implications depend on its severity. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history of any symptoms you have been having since your kidney stone and perform a thorough physical exam. Your doctor can also order a blood test to look at your creatinine level. This level will be important for your doctor to follow to makes sure your kidney function gets better or at least doesn't get worse. Good luck.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)