What is follicular cystitis???

What is follicular cystitis and why might it result from shaving? I thought I had herpes but my doctor said it was just follicular cystitis, and that I just had to shave differently, but I can't really connect the dots here. What happened to me?
I suspect based on your story that the doctor said "folliculitis", not "follicular cystitis". Folliculitis is infection of the hair shafts, and it manifests as small red bumps that form at the base of the hair. The most common cause of folliculitis is shaving. Solutions include shaving less frequently or making sure that you use a good moisturizing shaving cream. Another possibility would be to wax. Waxing, although initially uncomfortable, removes all the hairs cleanly without irritation and therefore does not cause folliculitis. It also requires less frequent maintenance than shaving. If these strategies do not work, then you could consider a more permanent hair removal strategy. The two that are available are electrolysis or laser based hair removal. Although expensive, they are permanent solutions for solving this problem. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor if symptoms do not resolve is recommended.