ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of cystitis?

Question

What are the symptoms of cystitis?

I was told by a friend that I might have cystitis, because she was worried about how often I have to be (and I confessed that it's painful). How does a person know if they have cystitis? I'm 24 years old and female.

Answer

Cystitis, or urinary tract infection, is one of the most common medical problems faced by young women. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. Cystitis simply means inflammation of the bladder. In young women, cystitis is virtually always the same thing as an acute urinary tract infection, caused when bacteria get up into the bladder and grow there. The symptoms of urinary tract infection include burning or pain with urination, frequent urination, cramping sensations in the lower abdomen, and the sensation of urinary urgency, or needing to run to the bathroom to urinate quickly. Cystitis can be easily diagnosed with a quick examination and a simple urine test in your doctor's office. It can then be easily treated with a short course of oral antibiotic medications. If you have pain in your lower back or fever, these may be signs that the infection is worsening and needs urgent evaluation. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is strongly advised.