ZocdocAnswersWhat is a blood pressure headache?

Question

What is a blood pressure headache?

What is a blood pressure headache? I'm a middle aged man with high blood pressure, and I just came across the term blood pressure headache, and now I'm worried that these things I thought were migraines are due to my blood pressure.

Answer

The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor. Migraine headache is usually characterized by a pulsatile pain, usually on one side of the head, that is sometimes associated with nausea and visual changes. The headache associated with high blood pressure often tends to be more dull and diffuse and other symptoms may include abdominal pain, swelling in the legs, and palpitations or chest pain. Generally, high blood pressure does not cause headache until the pressure is quite elevated. Therefore, if you are currently seeing a doctor for your blood pressure and taking medications, the headache is more likely migraine. But if you have any of the symptoms above or are concerned that your blood pressure is not well controlled then you should see your doctor as soon as possible as this can be a very serious problem. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is advised.