Why do people cough in the morning?

I usually have a minor coughing fit in the mornings, even though I'm a young healthy woman. Why is this? Should I talk to a doctor about my lungs, or is this the way a lot of people are?
Occasionally, people will have a small amount of coughing when they wake up. This can be because secretions pool in the throat and lungs while asleep, and the body wants to mobilize them when it wakes up. However, most of the time cough, especially if it is strong, should be investigated as several medical problems could be the cause. Very common causes of chronic cough in young people include nasal allergies, or allergic rhinitis, and chronic sinus congestion. These are two conditions that are easily treated in collaboration with your doctor, who might prescribe antihistamines or nasal steroid sprays. Asthma is another common condition in young people who, if they have a mild case, may never seek diagnosis and treatment. Finally, heartburn, or acid reflux, is a common cause of chronic cough in people of all ages. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is highly recommended.