Why does asthma cause one to cough?

Why does asthma make me cough? I understand that my lungs are closing up and that's why it makes it hard to breathe, but I don't understand why it should make me cough. There must be a better way to treat this than drug use.
Asthma is a very common medical problem and also one of the most common reasons for people to seek medical care. The doctors who are well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor. Asthma has two features which lead to the symptoms. The first is constriction of the tube in the lungs and the second is inflammation and the buildup of mucus in the tubes. The constriction is what primarily gives the symptoms of wheeze and shortness of breath, whereas the inflammation and mucus is what primarily gives the symptoms of cough. In other words, the cough in asthma is just like any cough. The mucus and inflammation stimulate nerve endings in the lung, which provokes the cough, whose job is to try to keep the tubes of the lungs free of blockage. Unfortunately, asthma is a chronic disease and there is no better treatment for it than the daily use of controlling medications. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. If you have persistent cough, this means your asthma is probably not well controlled and you should set up a visit with your primary care doctor as soon as possible.

Nearby Pulmonologists

Other Pulmonologists