ZocdocAnswersDoes acne affect ultrasound results?

Question

Does acne affect ultrasound results?

I'm a middle aged man who's going to get screened for a stroke, because I'm at high family risk - but I'm worried about the fat that I have really bad acne on my neck. Will this interfere at all with the use of the ultrasound? I know it requires very good skin contact.

Answer

First of all, congratulations on continuing to take care of your health! Probably the test that you are about to have done is a carotid ultrasound. This test is used to look for narrowing in the carotid arteries, which can be a risk factor for having a stroke. The test is performed simply by placing an ultrasound probe with some gel on the skin of the next and finding the carotids, which are located a few inches under the surface. You do not have to worry about acne on the neck. The probe that is used is very sophisticated and powerful, and its ability to penetrate the tissues of the skin and see underneath will not be impaired at all by the fact that you have severe acne. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.