ZocdocAnswersHow can one rupture their intestine?

Question

How can one rupture their intestine?

I'm probably freaking out about nothing, but is it possible to rupture your intestine? How would you know if you did? A few days ago I couldn't go to the bathroom for a long time, and now I have really bad diarrhea, and I think I see blood in it. What happened to me?

Answer

It sounds like what you probably had a few days ago was constipation. Constipation is the inability to pass stools without straining or very hard stools. The fact that you were not able to go to the bathroom for several days suggests constipation. Sometimes when the constipation gets quite severe, you can experience something called 'overflow diarrhea'. This occurs when mucus and water flows around hard stool in the colon giving the impression of diarrhea. However, this is usually still related to the unresolved constipation. Small amounts of blood in the stool are common with this, as the hard stool scrapes against and irritates the colon. In summary it sounds like the most likely problem is ongoing diarrhea with irritation of the colon and overflow diarrhea. This should be evaluated and treated soon by a doctor. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is highly recommended.