ZocdocAnswersWhat are common withdrawal symptoms?

Question

What are common withdrawal symptoms?

What are the normal symptoms of withdrawal? I quit drinking several weeks ago, and in addition to the normal withdrawal symptoms I've also had things I've never heard of, like rashes and vertigo. Is this withdrawal or not? I'm a 26 year old man.

Answer

Whenever you decide that it is time to try to quite drinking, it is always a good idea to speak to your primary care physician first so that withdrawal symptoms can be dealt with in a timely manner and that you get treatment for the severe consequences such as seizures. As you probably know that typical withdrawal symptoms of alcohol are restlessness, insomnia, sweating, high heart rate, seizures, diarrhea, tremors, and anxiety. Vertigo is a sensation of unsteadiness and spinning that can occur at rest or with a change in body position. it is often accompanied by nausea and sometimes vomiting. Vertigo and a rash are not typical symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. Thus I think you should have these symptoms looked at because you might have something else going on. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician right away. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Since it has been several weeks now, I doubt that you are still suffering from withdrawal symptoms. The two of you can discuss a plan for you to stay sober in the future. You can still get your rash and vertigo checked out regardless. Good luck.