ZocdocAnswersWhat does a vertigo attack feel like?

Question

What does a vertigo attack feel like?

How would I know if I was having an attack of vertigo? I'm a woman, age 22, and I sometime do feel really overwhelmed in a way that is just like being dizzy but not the same exactly? and I don't feel better until I lie down for a while.

Answer

Any time you feel like you are having repeated episodes of dizziness, you should consult with a qualified health care professional right away. In this case, a primary care physician such as a family doctor, a neurologist, or an ear nose and throat doctor are all physicians that treat vertigo. Dizziness is a general term that people use to describe one of two syndromes. Most of the time people use the word "dizzy" to describe the feeling of lightheadedness. This is a feeling that people have just before they pass out. Vertigo is the sensation of spinning similar to that when you spin around on a roller coaster and then suddenly stop. The spinning sensation can make people very unsteady on their feet and cause nausea and sometimes vomiting. Vertigo has many causes, but the most common cause is brought on by a change in body position that brings on the sense of spinning. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Your doctor should be able to tell just from this whether or not you are suffering from vertigo. Good luck.