ZocdocAnswersCan vertigo cause shortness of breath?

Question

Can vertigo cause shortness of breath?

Can vertigo cause you to feel short of breath? I'm a 25 year old woman and I always thought I suffered from vertigo, but now I'm wondering if instead I have an anxiety disorder, because I've never heard of vertigo causing breathing problems, which have been affecting me...

Answer

Unfortunately, from the small vignette, it is difficult to ascertain how exactly your breathing problems are related to the vertigo or anxiety disorder. Of course, primary care doctor will be best able to assess your presenting symptoms and medical history and determine what the appropriate work up is and whether there are any treatments available. In terms of your question, it would appear that you are concerned that you may have an anxiety disorder based upon your shortness of breath. Patients often complain of a feeling of inability to breath or catch their breath during a panic attack, and so if you feel that you are having episodes where you have difficulty breathing and this is associated with stressful times in your life, then it may indeed be possible that you are suffering from an anxiety disorder. All the various symptoms associated with anxiety disorders are beyond the scope of this discussion. In terms of vertigo being associated with shortness of breath, this is not a common association. Again, your primary care doctor will best be able to assess what symptoms you are presenting with and what medical problems you have and based upon this information, decide upon the appropriate work up. Various medications or stress relieving methods may also be attempted if this is indeed an anxiety disorder.