Can ultrasounds detect prostate abcesses?

I have been somewhat worried that I have a prostate abscess because I have a lot of the classic symptoms. After giving me an ultrasound, the doctor said she could definitely rule it out. Does that makes sense? Shouldn't we do more tests to be sure?
Any time you have symptoms that are concerning for an infection like an abscess, you should seek medical attention right away. In this case, the best type of physician for you to see is a urologist. A prostate abscess is a very serious infection where bacteria form an enclosed space within the prostate and grow. The typical symptoms are fever, chills, sweats, pain with defecation, and sometimes pain with urination. This type of infection is very hard to treat with medicines and usually needs to be surgically drained. The pocked of infection should be very easily seen by ultrasound as long as it was done by a skilled technician or physician. If your doctor got a good look at your prostate with the ultrasound machine and said there was no abscess, then there was probably no abscess. However, you could still have an infection of the prostate without abscess formation and still have the classic symptoms of a prostate abscess. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a urologist, if you haven't already. He or she will be able to take a fresh look at your situation, perform their own tests, and initiate treatment if necessary. Good luck.

Nearby Urologists

Other Urologists